Pages

Sunday 7 April 2013

Scotland Bound

Four weeks from now I will be landing in Glasgow ahead of this year's Genealogy Research Trip in Edinburgh. Having finalized the details for the tour participants, it is now time to finalize my own "to do" list.

While in Glasgow, I hope to once again tap into my taphophilia by visiting a few cemeteries. One in particular that I hope to get to this year is the Bent Cemetery in Hamilton, where my Carrick ancestors are buried. My 3x great grandfather is buried there along with his son. The two were killed together in a mining accident. Although there is no grave marker, I would like to visit the cemetery itself. The tragedy often plays on my mind and I hope to gain some perspective once viewing their final resting place.

My "to do" list also contains a number of archives I would like to visit in order to get some more of the social history details of my ancestors.

As a group, we will be attending the SAFHS conference in Galashiels so our "free time" to visit distant or ancestral lands will be on the Sunday and Monday. Having regularly paid visits to the Borders region, I find the northwest once again calling me. Fort William where my grandfather died? Mallaig? The Small Isles? Who knows what those two days will hold.

And of course, I am looking forward to seeing the progress that has taken place in Quartermile since last year's visit. To walking through Grassmarket and enjoying the rich history of that area of Edinburgh. And most of all, the peace that comes with being "home" - if only for a short time.

No comments:

Post a Comment